The museum’s collection of icons includes somewhat more than 300 monuments of 16th-19th centuries. This collection was formed mainly due to active collecting activity of the museum after the war, as the pre-existing museum collection, which was based on the icons of the Resurrection New Jerusalem Monastery, was almost fully destroyed in 1941.
The icon collection creates a fairly complete picture of the development of Russian religious art in the 16th-19th centuries. Stylistic features of icons allow to attribute them to different periods and artistic centre. The collection includes works by Stroganov painters and paintings of masters of the Russian North and centres of the Volga region. The collection shows stylistic and iconographic diversity of Russian religious art, creative quests of artists who worked in the mainstream Christian tradition.